Human beings really have a strong natural desire to continuously want to improve themselves and the world around them. Self-improvement simply just means making an effort to become better. It’s about finding ways to live a better life through your own effort and learning new ways of being in the world. Since this month is Self-Improvement Month, it’s really a great opportunity for you to look for new ways of making yourself the best person that you can be! Self-improvement looks different for everyone and there are really many areas in which you can strive for self-improvement. The general areas for self-improvement include these parts of our life: intellectual, emotional, spiritual, physical and financial.
So here’s a great list of ways people like to improve themselves. I hope this list helps you explore and get some ideas for yourself.
- Eat healthier
- Get more exercise
- Improve or even change your job or career
- Concentrate on having better relationships with our loved ones
- Work on our own emotional control like learning to control our anger or negativity
- Improve your time management
- Start a new hobby or passion
- Read more
- Unplug from technology
- Learn a new language
- Travel to broaden your mind
- Start to volunteer or find ways to help others
- Change your surroundings, redecorate a room or even your house!
- Learn to let go of regrets
- Learn how to keep an open mind
- Learn how to be more accepting and less judgemental of others
- Get out of your comfort zone and overcome worry, anxiety or fearfulness
- Get more or better quality sleep
- Quit a bad habit like smoking or nail biting
- Be kinder to yourself! Cut yourself some slack!
- Learn how to deal with difficult people in better ways
- Learn mindfulness meditation
- Get better and more confident at public speaking or interacting with groups of people
- Work on your personal financial goals
- Learn how to have a more positive attitude
- Work on being a better spouse/partner or better parent
- Learn to stop procrastinating
- Make an effort to make an effort in your life!
- Learn to enjoy the simple pleasures in life
- Learn how to feel and express gratitude
- Learn to embrace and not fight change!
- Learn how to deal with stress in better and healthier ways
So set some goals, get motivated and start to improve yourself and your life this month!
Oh and here’s a link to a great way to set those goals using the SMART goal process: SMART GOALS
Also, remember that seeing a psychologist can also be a great way to help improve your life! Psychologists are trained professionals whose very “raison d’être” is to help you explore, set, and achieve your life goals!